Friday 24 May 2013

Veteran

This is another large painting,and not exactly a 'daily painting'. Arthur is a 93 year old 2nd World War Veteran and as I type this he will have just arrived in France, as the only surviivng member of the Royal Norfolk regiment from the 2nd World War. Over the next two days he will be laying two wreaths, one at Dunkirk where he lost his brother and one at Le Paradis, the site of the massacre of the Norfolks. Painting this portrait has been an absolute privilege. I decided to paint this portrait 'Alla Prima' and work it as a 'piece' a day rather than working in layers as I would usually for a commissioned portrait. This had the effect of moving me on rather than 'honing in' to any particular area; which is the opposite to what I thought might happen. The portrait reached a state of completion much quicker and less stressfully than I thought it might.

5 comments:

  1. Great portrait. I like how you have captured his expression and great skin tones too. Those medals are just amazing, your attention to detail is excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Amanda. I tried to sugest the detail on the medals without over decribing and by your comment it seems to have had the desired effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this portrait...the expression on his face is captured beautifully...the skin tones and facial features and just so very well done. He looks satisfied, pleased, and so very natural. I just love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have absolutely portrayed this gentleman's "inner self", and the privilege you speak of is shared with the viewer as well, something like the synergy of a great symphonic performance. The conductor (artist), orchestra (subject), and audience (viewer) share the experience, and the effect is very gratifying all around. It is food for the soul! Brava!

    ReplyDelete